Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Cycling in Scotland

Last year I spent 8 days in Scotland travelling just with my bike and a tent as home. The idea for a long bike tour was a dream of my childhood and last year was the right one to make this dream comes true... I landed near Glasgow at mid-May, the weather was fresh and windy and I've been lucky for it 'cause it was mainly sunny just with few rain showers for all the time I spent there. My plan was to visit some western islands, so with my bike I cycled to the seaside where I took the ferry for the beautiful Isle of Arran. For all the time I was there I camped free, near lakes or sea... it was unbelievable to sleep under the stars with the voice of the sea singing just for me all night long... no traffic, no pollution, no crowd: those islands were amazing for a biker!!! After the tour of Arran I reached the Mull of Kintyre and then the island of Islay, home of the best scotch whisky distilleries... On Islay I had very good times; cycling in the middle of that glorious nature was cool and when tired I was never too far from a world-ranking whisky distillery to visit (Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich, Ardbeg, Laphroig)... great fuel for a lonesome biker!!! After a funny night in Port Charlotte I moved to the wild Isle of Jura... Only few persons live there, Jura is a wild and beautiful islands and it was the one where Orwell wrote his best books. From Jura I went to reach Gigha island: peaceful and quiet... lovely!!! Then I went on the Isle of Bute where, on the ferry back to the mainland, I broke (...and I still don't understand why and where...) a wheel... I had to walk for some kilometers to overnight close to the sea. My bike was broken but it hasn't been a big problem... In a motorhome in front of my tent I met a cheerful and kind couple who offered me some beer and brought me to the train station, where I easily reached the airport... I had just half a day left before flying back home, so I had enough time to visit some Scottish pubs for tasting the quality of their products... Nice!!! And after 550 km of fun I flew back home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home